Thursday, April 11, 2013

Music Sheet Dresser

Strangely enough, for a post with music in the title, I have no music playing right now to give you a better title.  Is that an Oxymoron or what?!  Anywho, too cold to paint right now so I might as well post instead for the 3 people who haven't deserted me and read this.

I stumbled on a nice old dresser a few weeks ago.  It was sad, sad, sad.  The veneer was mostly missing from the drawer fronts, and chipped on the top and it was grungy, grungy.  Well you can clean em up, but missing massive quantities of veneer is tough.  I remembered a Miss Mustard Seed dresser that I had loved and pinned, and decided to create my version of it.


And here's what I started with.

Good change, eh?  You have to love good bones.  Basically I left the old beat up stain alone and after a thorough cleaning dry brushed some old white on top.

You can see more of it on the side here.


You can see some of the fun music I was lucky enough to find.  
I pulled some vintage glass knobs out of my stash to use on this dresser.  That way they don't distract from the music, though I think black round ones might look like whole notes dancing around on the drawers.  
The top of the dresser presented it's own challenge with that serpentine wave that had to be trimmed!  Eek!
I'm always sure I'm going to ruin a piece late in the game and end up totally mad at myself.
I left pages with purposely torn edges and some dog ears to keep it real.  
All in all I'm so happy with this dresser.  What a fun, fun piece to do!  I absolutely love being able to try new techniques and looks on pieces of furniture.  If I had to do the same thing every day it would make me a bit crazy.  Tell you what though, I'd repeat this one again in a heartbeat!

This dresser can be found for sale at NJ & Co, Omaha.  If you are in the area, stop by tomorrow from 8:30-12:00 for a special Designer/Decorator event on Furniture and Home Furnishings!  

Have a super weekend!
Deb

Linking to:

Furniture Feature Fridays

14 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! you did an AMAZING job with it! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a STUNNER this one is!
    Can't even imagine all the work that went into it - but baby, look at her now!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! I'd love to try a sheet music piece too..maybe one day.
    and I hope you thought of me in your three people :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job Deb! And that was the perfect candidate. I bet in sells in a wink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinning it, I love it. And I'm #5 comment so your math is off.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice !! Love the serpentine drawers! I did a similar one after seeing MMS's - I just love her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just speechless... This piece is simply gorgeous... I have an old dresser in the garage... I think what i am going to do with it now. Doesn't have quite as nice a shape s yours though! You really scored a home-run!!!

    Wishing you a superb Tuesday... :)

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this piece! What an awesome way to cover up a damaged piece of furniture. Awesome job!

    I'd love it if you would share this at "What We Accomplished Wednesday," at Green Willow Pond. It is live right now. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Love it! MMS is such a gal for inspiring all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is gorgeous, I'm working on something similar,but it's a box.Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I am speechless...Some of my favorite jazz standard songs are on your dresser. This is very inspiring and I think I need to try this in the near future, I have been thinking about it lately, but now that I see how gorgeous yours turned out I just gotta do it. What works best on the sheet music? I'm not quite sure what will work best, any hints you can give me will be greatly appreciated. THANKS for sharing and inspiring. I like your idea about the black knobs dancing like notes on the page... genius!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic!! It turned out beautifully!!
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dresser is simply beautiful! Deb, you have a wonderful eye for seeing the potential in every piece you do. Congrats on being selected as one of Miss Mustard Seed's picks of the week!! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something, it will make my day!