Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wild Thing You Make My Heart Sing

When coming up for a title random songs seem to run in my mind.  Have you noticed I'm doing that??  Strange!  When I first told my parents about my new adventure in furniture rescuing and restyling they didn't jump up and down with joy, they started emptying their basement out and bringing it to me.  I'm ok with that.  One of the things they unloaded on me was a vintage blond oak magazine rack.  It weighs a TON and it came with the motor home they bought a while back.  Since my Dad is always trying to get my Mom to "lighten the load" (for those of you who have seen Lucille Ball in "The Long, Long Trailer" you get why) she decided it must go.  I set it in a corner, loaded it full of stuff and waited for some kind of inspiration to hit.  I waited quite a while.  I should have taken a "before" while I waited, but I didn't.  Sorry.

I'm a magazine buying fanatic and the other day I picked up a copy of Country Collectibles #65 2011 Decorating Shortcuts.  One of their quick updates was a stencil project on a cute, but plain dresser.  It was the perfect plan for my magazine rack!  They made their own masking stencils with contact paper.  I lazily used my Silhouette to cut out shapes and a saying that I liked.  I primed and painted the magazine rack in Heirloom White by Rustoleum and let this dry overnight.  This morning I placed all of my masking cutouts on the rack and sprayed it again using Rustoleum's Aqua.  After that dried I removed all the vinyl and Voila!, Instant Cute!
I think this is a technique I'll be trying again once I find a perfect dresser or table.  It was a lot of fun, and I just love how whimsical it turned out.  Mom just might want this back!

I'm linking up to http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/2011/08/wow-us-wednesdays-25.html

http://primitiveandproper.blogspot.com/2011/08/piece-of-work-wednesday-furniture-link.html
http://missmustardseed.blogspot.com/2011/08/furniture-feature-friday-favorites-link.html
Have a great day!
Deb

7 comments:

  1. that is so cute- the sides especially are just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest magazine rack EVER! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the cutest thing ever! You are more creative by the minute. I love anything with birds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS colour too!!

    Deborah...visiting from
    http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO Cute!
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom will probably want it back,it turned out beautiful!!


    http://trescherechattel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something, it will make my day!