Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Hard Candy Christmas

First off, a big THANKS to Jenny from Days of Chalk & Chocolate for her feature of my Peacock feather dresser.  I am always so flattered that someone likes something that I've done!

Now on to today's reveal, I've told you before that I sing while I work a lot of the time.  It's usually the piece that makes me think of a song.  I bought a can of AS Antoinette, a pretty soft rose color a few weeks back and decided to make it my Susan G. Komen pink piece for this year's proceeds donation.
I chose to paint it on a 1920-30's style waterfall vanity with gorgeous pulls and a full moon mirror.
While painting the thought "cotton candy" kept crossing my mind.  I also like to think up scenarios for what this dresser might have been through in it's "storied" life.  I gave it more "living" than the previous owners would probably appreciate when the song "Hard Candy Christmas" sprang to mind with this delightful candy colored paint!
That song was from the musical, "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas", which is based on the true story of the famous Chicken Ranch Brothel in LaGrange, Texas.  Imagine this dresser left behind in one of the "girls" rooms when it was forced to close in the 1970's by some of the very same state legislators that used to visit it frequently. 
I distressed it very heavily and imagined it's storied history, and tried not to dwell on the tales it could tell!  Hey, it's lonely and quiet out in the workshop!!  Anyway, if you haven't seen the musical a few, probably very few, of you may have seen the movie starring Dolly Parton that came out in the 80's with the same title.
Look how royal this hardware is! Love it, love the way parts of it are worn off with time.
Obviously this dressers story is a total figment of my imagination!  A very nice couple, who I don't believe have ever lived in Texas sold this to me.  But a dressing table much like this one might have lived a glorious life in Texas at The Chicken Ranch.
Anyone else out there make up Furniture Tales?  It sure makes the sanding go faster!

This dresser will be listed on my Pieces for Sale page in a few days.  The proceeds from it's sale will be donated to the Susan G. Komen foundation to help support breast cancer research in the search for a cure!  Please contact me if you live in the Omaha area and are interested in Hard Candy Christmas, which would make a great dressing table, desk, or dresser, please contact me.

I'm linking up to:
http://primitiveandproper.blogspot.com/2012/05/poww-89.html
http://elizabethandco.blogspot.com/2012/05/be-inspired-features-and-link-party-20.html
http://missmustardseed.com/2012/05/furniture-feature-friday-favorites-a-link-party-10/#comment-88104

Have a great day!
Deb

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and the little bird is the perfect finishing touch! Now following you :)

    Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet, deb! the color is so fun and the bird is the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's a beautiful piece, Deb, wherever it might have resided in its former life! I love the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's just beautiful. Pink is new again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo pretty! That was the perfect piece for pink! And your sweet little bird! I've been known to hum a tune or two while painting too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lOOOVVVEEE this and love the story- precious. I think it is absolutely perfect. I'm about to read this to Ashley. She'll appreciate it!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something, it will make my day!