Thursday, April 19, 2012

Petite Desk with a Pedi

Well crud, I forgot to take a before photo again!  This was one of those projects that jumped ahead in the line of waiting projects when I was waiting on more paint to arrive to finish off my latest makeover victim.  Let's go with that and forget the fact that probably over half of my projects don't ever get a before photo.

Anyhoo, a month or so ago I bought a small one drawer desk and mid-century modern chair from a young lady who was moving.  Already knowing where I wanted it to go meant that it wouldn't take me long to knock it out. 

The desk is pretty basic classic in Old Ochre, but she can get to the ball with the pretty little pedicure.  I have been wanting to dip some furniture legs since I first saw Cassie do it on Primitive & Proper . 

I decided to go for a touch of glam and used gold for her little toe dip.  I really like the effect of dressing her up a bit.  I repeated the gold on her original wood handle too since it was such a simple design.
Lined the drawer with the same fabric I used to cover the chair, and refinished the wood top with a dark Jacobean stain and antique oil finish. 
For the chair I decided to go with a bright springy green that I'm loving right now.  It pulled out the green in the fabric and added a little mid-century mod pop to the set. 

A couple of lamps got a similar coat of paint.  I don't know why I've really been into lamps lately.  They are rather addicting fast finishes.  I had some fun with their shades again too.  This one has some dandelions blowing in the wind, and though you can't see it in the photo, there is some sparkle on that white fluff.  I wasn't so sure I was completely happy with it, but then my teenage daughter made a comment like "cool lamp Mom", and everybody knows that pulling a compliment out of your teenager is almost next to impossible so I'm not changing a darn thing on that lamp!  After all teenagers "know" everything there is to know right? ;-)

This second lamp was a takeoff from a lampshade that I saw the other day at Lowe's.  The Lowe's lampshade had embroidery on the inside of the shade that really only showed up when the light was on.  My version is not quite that subtle.
Here take a peek.  On the inside of the lampshade I adhered a bunch of different shapes that I had cut using my Silhouette.  They really pop out when the lamp is turned on and it is just such a fun easy way to pump up a very plain, simple lampshade.

So that's what I've been up to lately.  My paint has arrived so now it's back to the workshop and another completion.  Thanks for stopping by! 

Deb
Linking to:

10 comments:

  1. eek! i love it!!!!!! so so cute! it's perfect with that dipper look! and thanks for the shout, out. :) love the fun chair with it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great projects, Deb! I love that desk ~ what a great size. Love the lamps and their shades. They go really well with the chair, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how these tie in together!! I love, love the fabric in the drawer and on the seat!! Precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that shade of green and the pretty fabric! The little dipped legs are so cute, I want to try that too! And Deb, those lamps are so cool! You've been a busy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That lovely may very well be one of my all time favorite pieces that you've done, Debbie, it's so pretty. Love the lamps too -- the other day, during our wanderings, I was thinking lamps? What could she be doing with those?? Oh!!! Now I know! Wow -- I'm inpsired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so cute that the inside of the drawer matches the chair seat. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a fun little table. Gold toes are just goodness! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb, looking at your work and such wonderful details, love the cupcake dresser, so cute. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you did with the entire grouping. It's all so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty--every bit of it! I love the dipped legs--how cute!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something, it will make my day!